TFS 2008 Support

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Very nice product. I’m wondering about the support for Team Foundation Server 2008 and MSF for CMMi Process Improvement. Actually we use this version with Team Explorer 2008. Testing WBS Editor 2.4.5 I can´t browse work items. When I select Load from Work Item I got XML error.

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Hello ccsuan,

I haven't tried the WBS Editor with the CMMi template; the template needs a work item type "Task", and fields "Remaining Work" and "Completed Work". Further, it relies on that there are states called "Active" and "Closed". Does this applz to the CMMi template? If yes, WBS Editor should work. As for the "Browse for Work Item" and "Load from Work Item" feature: It only will load work items (i.e. Tasks) which contain a WBS definition. This may be a minor mixup with the terms? What are you trying to accomplish with the "Load from Work Item" menu item? Load from WI will only work after you have already saved a WBS as a root node work item into your TFS database. You can then use that ID (i.e. the ID of the root node) to load the entire WBS.

Hope that helps, otherwise I am more than glad to clarify further.

Best regards,
Martin

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Ah, forgot: Yes, the WBS Editor ought to work with a TFS 2008 server. It's using the 2005 version of the access assemblies, and those also work with any later version (i.e. 2005, 2008 and 2010).

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Hello Martin:

Thanks for your answer. We were confused about the use of the tool. We’ve just tested again and it seems that the editor works fine with CMMi template. This template has “Remaining Work”, "Completed Work”, states "Active" and "Closed". Additionally it has “Estimate” (useful for validate our estimates).

Now we want to link a list of work items previously created in Team Foundation Server. I understand that the node structure is stored as an XML in the description of the root node. So the question is if editing this XML could do the job.

Regards,

Carlos.

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2010 at 6:59 AM

The normal approach to creating an WBS would be to create the WBS tree and then to publish (new) work items. In case you need to link to existing work items, you can proceed as follows: 1) Create the WBS tree, 2) Use "Attach to Work Item" to link a work item to a node in the tree. Admittedly, this process is a little bit tedious, but, as I said, the tool is intended for the entire cycle: From creation of the Work Items over tracking process to closing them. But, for your case, try "Attach to Work Item" (link to documentation). Please note that, when publishing the rest of the work items (if there are leaf nodes which haven't been published yet), the title of the existing nodes will be adjusted to match the WBS. Please also check out the properties of the WBS tree, the TID (Task ID) will be used for generation of the Work Item titles.

Hope that helps?

Martin

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Hi Martin:

Your app has been helpful for us, We´re apreciate your rapid response... (Carlos and I) Thanks a lot.
But, I´ve another question for you: After "Attach work item", a Red warning appears inmediately and this work item isn´t intermediate leave in the tree.
¿How can i remove this warning if the remaing work and completed work exists?

Bye

Rocio

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Hello Rocio,

Normally, only leaves in the tree (see leaf nodes), i.e. nodes without child nodes, are published as TFS Tasks; all inner nodes (except the root node) are just stored inside the XML. The "work" is exclusively done in the leaf nodes, that's why you get the exclamation marks.

I would like to recommend this page from the documentation as further reading: http://wbseditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Short%20tutorial&referringTitle=Documentation, and further the step-to-step guide for projects using the WBS editor which is in turn linked from this page. Reading up on Work Breakdown Structures may also be a good ide.

Best regards,
Martin